Silicon Carbide for Seals and Bearings
With decades of experience in the manufacture of silicon carbide products, we are your first choice for seal and bearing requirements.
Due to their advanced performance characteristics our range of silicon carbide seal & bearing materials will be found in many challenging industrial applications operating in extreme environments.
Silicon Carbide components are widely used in products such as gas seals, mechanical seals, propulsion shaft and slurry seals, slide bearings, radial and thrust bearings where the following properties make it an ideal choice for use in a broad range of industrial processes and engineered design solutions.
- High thermal conductivity
- Low friction
- Low thermal expansion coefficient
- Outstanding thermal shock resistance
- High hardness
- Superior wear resistance, especially for our graphite loaded PGS3 silicon carbide which offers excellent dry running performances used in mechanical seals
- Low density compared to common oxide materials, such as alumina
- Superior corrosion resistance, especially in alkali environment
- Good mechanical strength
- High temperature capabilities
- Abrasion resistant
- Impervious to liquids and gases
- Wide ranging compatibility with other materials
These properties make our Silicon Carbide materials the ideal choice for use as mechanical components and wear parts that are specified in applications such as:
- Centrifugal Pumps
- Submersible Pumps
- Mixers and Steam joints
- Gear pumps
- Propulsion shaft sealing
- High temperature and pressure applications
- Abrasive and aggressive fluid applications
- Mechanical seals for circulating pumps with limited dry running capability
- Bearings for circulating pumps
- Specialty pumps for handling corrosive and abrasive fluids
- Bearings for electric water pumps used in electric and/or hybrid cars
Silicon Carbide’s exceptional wear and chemical resistance, enhanced dry running capability and high hardness means it is an excellent choice for aggressive, corrosive and high temperature environments.
Our market leading PGS graphite loaded sintered materials are the preferred choice for many of the respected mechanical seal manufacturers who demand the best possible tribological performance in hard on hard seal face and bearing combinations. While our proprietary SiC grades (PGS3 and PS5000) offer unique chemical compositions that are tailored to customers specific requirements. Our SiC products are also Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS) approved for being in contact with drinking water.
We work closely with our customers to understand the operating parameters of the application and the range of process conditions to manufacture precision SiC components in high volume with sizes up to 80mm in diameter. This evaluation determines the design of the end product and provides the selection criteria to offer the best material and the most cost effective solution for the specific needs of the customer’s design.
To see how we can work with you on your project, contact us today.